Saturday, November 25, 2006

TV on the internet

3 months ago, I received an email from a friend containing a link to something that is supposedly funny. I clicked, I saw, I laughed. However, I did not stop there. I explored the site and entertained myself a little longer. I just can't believe that I can just watch some shows from comedy central without having to wait for the certain period they are shown on cable. I was completely amazed. It is a good thing that by that time, I was no longer using a dial-up connection.

Another revolution for this age has begun. Youtube. The feeling is just so great. I wouldn't have to deal with lame shows whenever I have my little break from studying.

However, after sometime, youtube had to deal with copyright laws. For instance, comedy central demanded youtube to remove video clips coming from its programs. Fortunately, i believe that they made another deal with youtube wherein some of the clips would still be available - something about licensing and official clips are the ones that should be posted.

My opinion is, it would be beneficial for media companies to have their shows posted on youtube as long as the ones that would be posted are regulated. For example, if in some way viewers would still have to watch the commercials, then there is no problem for tv networks. But, cable companies would be in a different case. As for now, it doesn't seem like youtube would be deemed as a substitute for cable tv but when internet connection becomes faster and almost all shows can be found in youtube, then their industry might shrink.

1 comment:

jm said...

Lucky you. :) Am still operating on dial-up, mostly. My YouTube time's limited to those occasions I find myself at a particular internet cafe near school (which allows the hooking up of laptops). Am somewhat constrained, but perhaps that's a good thing for now.

The whole time-shifting aspect of YouTube and other video sites really is quite a boon for law students, I think. Free time's that much more precious to us, and it's a pain not to be able to watch a particular show because it's schedule isn't timing itself properly with yours. With sites like YouTube (and Google Video, iFilm, Metacafe, Dailymotion), we're not as tied down by program scheduling as we once were.

It'll be interesting to follow how YouTube will develop, now that it's been acquired by Google. Will media companies be more predisposed to suing the company after Google's $1.65 billion purchase? Probably. Will there be more deals with the said companies for providing their content on the site? Will media companies find a way to generate revenue off of YouTube, or will the site act more as a marketing tool for their products? Will less copyright-protected material be available on the site? Will this affect the site's popularity?